View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Welcome to the hobby and to the best source of information that exists. Card collecting is an addictive habit as most of us here can attest to. The collective "value" of the cards owned by the members of this board is staggering and the types of cards you can see just by scrolling through the posts on this board truly show you the breadth of the hobby.

Spend a little time here however and you will find that very few of us are into the hobby for the investment aspect of it. The pricing trend for most commodity type cards in the last decade has driven most of the investment type collectors out of the hobby. That's not to say there isn't an opportunity to collect for profit but it is very important to purchase your cards at the right price and focus on the types of cards which can be readily re-sold. The cards you have shown are all easily sellable at the right price. Price being the key. It is important that you enjoy the hobby but if you are looking to profit from it you really need to make sure you know the market value of a card and what affects the price and sellability of a card.

Good luck and welcome. I hope you are able to get out of the hobby everything that you are looking for and help to create a new generation of collectors in the process.
Great points. I should also mention that I love the collecting aspect of the hobby, I love baseball and the cards, and all that goes with it. My point was that you can enjoy what you collect (as I absolutely do) AND have an eye towards value and I don't think it should be considered taboo to think that way.