View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I grew up in the '80s collecting autographs in person around Boston, so I obtained thousands of signatures in person from people like Jim Rice, Wayne Gretzky, Larry Bird and tons more, which look nothing like the signatures people are used to seeing. Mine were often signed while players were getting out of their cars and rushing into stadiums, vs sitting at a show table and taking their time (and getting paid).

Would my signatures pass authentication? Maybe, maybe not, who knows? But they are 100% legit and I know it, and that's good enough for me while they reside in my collection.
I would have to agree with Scott on this one. I spent much of the 1970's chasing Nolan Ryan around Anaheim Stadium getting his autograph over 100 times in person (Yes, I am a confirmed ex-stalker! ).

The differences in Nolan's signature as a case in point is absolutely amazing when you compare the sit down version and the "over the railing", rushed version. Please see my examples below to illustrate the point. Nolan knocked out both of these in person in the 1970's at Anaheim Stadium. He was sitting at a table when he signed the 1972 team postcard (signed 1973), and he signed the era photo over the railing during 1977 or 1978.