View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Travis,
I did read your original answer as well as this one.

I don't think we should all have to spell out in each of our answers that the contents of that answer represents our opinion. I would think it is a given. Despite that, I did acknowledge in my answer to your initial post that art appreciation is subjective.

For me, art is about my emotional response to the item. This goes for music, painting, sculpture, written words, movies, and everything else. Does the art speak to me or move me in some way.

While realism in painting is my preference, I'm not knocking others(Perez) because they aren't realistic. I may be critical or think less of their art because they don't move me in any meaningful way. IMHO, Van Gogh, Monet, and a whole host of other artists, while not realistic, still evoke a powerful emotional response. I don't care for Dali or Picasso because they really don't make me feel anything.

As I said previously, to me,and many others, Conlon's pictures really bring to the forefront an emotional response. Graig's artwork art does the same thing. If Conlon's pictures capture the soul of the subject then I would say Graig's painting breathes life into it.

To me, Perez's work, while attractive and colorful, doesn't really bring any emotion to the table. This is why I stated what I did in my original post.

Along the same lines, Kadir Nelson's paintings are fantastic. I agree with both Scotts that they are very beautiful. I think Scott F's description was perfect. They are very soulful. Thanks for posting them Mike.

Best,
Mark
Mark. I tried telling you...