View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Scott, I wasn't implying that nobody collects such things and therefore nobody would care if the SSN was blacked out or not. What I was trying to suggest was that, when you find that collector of oddball items related to their favorite player, not only will they not care if the SSN is blacked out, but will they even expect it to be otherwise?

I just can't picture a Nolan Ryan collector finding one of his old W-2's with a blacked out SSN and deciding to hold out for one without the black mark, or even assuming that such an unmarred document exists.

Indeed, as a seller, I have learned not to question the whims of collectors. Many a time have I thrown something up for auction hoping to get a single bid and been surprised by two bidders duking it out, and probably just as many times have I started something low that I thought would draw lots of bids and wound up selling it for the opening bid price. You just never know with auctions, and that anticipation as the lots are ending and the final bids are coming in is one of the things that keeps me in the game! (Well, that, and bills to pay )
Lance,
Gotcha. I understand what you are saying.

BTW, I actually polled a few collector friends on the topic earlier today because I thought that it would be interesting to find out if I was not alone in the thought that I'd be likely to be more spirited in the bidding on an item if personal info (address, phone #, SS #) was not blacked out. Amongst my friends it was unanimous that they would pay more for such an item, FWIW.

Anyway, before I get someone posting the moving avatar with the horse being beaten to death, I am signing off on commenting any more.

I thought that this was a cool thread to comment on.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.