View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I thought the show was significantly better than last year in terms of both material being sold and prices. Dealers seemed more realistic and were no longer simply dumping their unsold ebay store inventories on tables. As such I ended up with some cards that I didn't expect to find after the past two relatively disappointing Nationals.

I also felt the dealers were a bit more solicitous than in the past, again probably a function of the economy. I even saw some Civil War era material which were real highlights for me. The very back of the floor was mostly a vast wasteland with modern cards and boxed sets but, again, I felt there were more vintage tables set up than last year.

Baltimore is also a great city for the National. Unlike in Chicago, the convention center and connected hotels are close to the good parts of the city.
As someone born a dozen blocks from the Inner Harbor, I would have to agree with your statement. The Broadway/Inner/Harbor/Little Italy area of Baltimore has both held on t0 the old city charm and grabbed a double handful of the new. As long as you do not stray too far off the path. To the East is the neighborhood I grew up in. It is tired. Owner-occupied homes no longer exist. Without pride of ownership blah,blah,blah. Of course, too far south puts you in the Bay. Too far west finds you in a neighborhood in sadder shape than the one I grew up in. If you go north, you will run smack dab into THE BLOCK which is the Red Light district, not a place for an out-of-towner to be after dark.
I guess the same could be said of any major city but at least B-more has great crabs..........

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 08-08-2012 at 05:15 AM.