View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Making me dizzy there Leon!

Actually, I think a lot of the weird proofs and double printed cards in the hobby result from the tops and bottoms of press runs and pallet shipments, especially just after World War 2 through the 1980's. A couple of sheets on the top and bottom of a stack fed into the press, just to make sure the ink is flowing and there is no damage to the printed sheets is certainly one explanation for these I think. If you stack 'em upside down it lets the people unloading know where the good stuff begins and ends in a stack.

Similarly rejected sheets from the beginning and end of a print run would be used at the top and bottom of a stack of printed sheets on a pallet. This let the waste sheets take the nicks and dings from banding and shipping at the printer's and then they would be discarded at the final point of insertion (say the Bowman plant in Philly) once the good ones are unloaded and in the hopper for cutting. Dumpster diving and the odd cruddy reject being cut and packaged would account for quite a few of these entering the hobby.

I also assume, especially with Topps, that a few sheets were run off of each series for inspection by them and then, allowing for a marked up proof sheet being returned to the printers, these sheets were likely discarded or even kept by the executives for their kids. This practice would have accelerated after 1965 when Topps had cards printed in Philly, inspected by the brass in Brooklyn and then cut and inserted into packs in Duryea.