View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
S Vincent

Default Another Jim Stinson thread

Just wanted to pass along a quick story about Mr. Stinson, a well-respected member here.

I had a question for him regarding an autograph today, one that he wasn't selling and had no personal investment in. I felt guilty for e-mailing him asking for his opinion, but he was nice enough to share his thoughts. And I'm so glad he did.

The item in question was a 1935 check endorsed by Edwin "Alabama" Pitts, a man with a significant history in baseball but one not known by a lot of people. Pitts was stabbed to death in 1941 at the age of 35, so examples of his autographs are not exactly common. I felt good about the signature and the time period from which it came, but I really wanted Mr. Stinson's opinion.

He responded a short time later, and of course, he knew exactly who Pitts was, had written a story about him for his website, and knew what his autograph looked like. He responded again after viewing the signature, and said it was "dead on" and that it was a good find. That made me feel good on several levels.

I probably paid too much for it - $325 - but it's difficult to know exactly what a signature like that is worth. Mr. Stinson sold an album page signed by Pitts eight years ago for around $150. So, an overpayment maybe, but what Mr. Stinson said in his e-mail to me is so correct: It's the story behind an autograph that makes it special. And Pitts has an unreal story. Check it out at some point if you have time.

Here is the item that I bought in case you were curious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edwin-Alabam...item5647722d8c

Again, I really just wanted to take the time to give kudos to a man who took time out of his day to help a total stranger. Thank you.