View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Sean Brennan

Default last known autographs?

I came across the old letters I had saved from when I requested an autograph and the player wrote something on my letter. In early 1989 I got Donald Honigs "Baseball in the 30's" book and started getting it signed. I ended up with 75 signatures most of which I got through the mail. Anyways, i stumbled across this letter from a friend of Lew Fonseca whom said that this may be his last autograph. I remember receiving it in the mail right after I heard he had passed away.

base 30s cover.jpg

base 30s fonseca.jpg

base 30s fonseca letter.jpg

This is two letters regarding Jack Russell. The first where Jack wrote that he would be happy to sign mu book and the second (from when I mailed the book) written by someone at the nursing home Jack was at. Its hard to tell on the scan but he started to sign the wrong photo and then the one he did sign is a lot sloppier then his usual signature (compare the book sig to the letter sig). He died the same week I rec'd this back
base 30s russel book.jpg

base 30s russel letter'.jpg

Slightly less somber one. I wrote to Lonny Frey asking if he would sign my book and I mailed him to items to sign, a 1934 Goudey and a 1933 Who's who in baseball page....Of Benny Frey! (I was 13). Thought the letter he wrote was kind of funny. When he signed my book he wrote me a long letter about how great he thought Pete Reiser was. Lonny Seemed like a real great guy

ok share your last autograph ever stories
base 30s frey letter'.jpg

base 30s frey book.jpg

Last edited by milkit1; 09-15-2012 at 01:46 PM.