View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think he makes a great point. I have only a few autographs, and occasionally consider moving a few of them. But there's a smaller handful that I simply wouldn't sell. Granted most are very inexpensive, but the few that I got in a situation where I got to spend a bit of time with the player mean more. The quick show autographs less so. And the ones where the overall experience wasn't great maybe less. The very few I didn't get in person are all pretty special, but nothing like my favorites.

Feller and B. Robinson were wonderful.
Bobby Orr kind of obnoxious, but not entirely unreasonable under the circumstances. Hardware store opening, two hour line, nice but sort of unlicensed item made from a licensed item. His exact comment - "Sigh....I really shouldn't sign this junk" said as he signed and handed it back. I almost stopped him, but my hesitation around guys like him I suppose worked in my favor.

I've long thought that someone with the right connections could do very well arranging expensive events for a handful of people to hang out and talk sports, maybe watch a game with a former player and get one autograph somewhere along the way.

Steve B