View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Steve Birmingham

Most of the expensive stuff will be really tough to find unless you get lucky. Even if you go to lots of estate sales.

But there's loads of cool inexpensive stuff out there.
Stadium postcards can sometimes be found in antique shops in the random postcard box -usually a dollar or two each.

Don't forget antique shows and auctions and other collectible shows.
I bought a cubs logo coffee cup that's restauraunt china, maybe from the team? It was only $2 at a bottle show from a seller who specialized in restauraunt china.
A box of ephemera at a local auction had a stack of maybe 10 blotters with the 1939 Tufts football schedule on them.
I've bought some nice covers at stamp shows, both the ones with Cachets from events like world series games and ones sent from minor league teams.

Look long enough and a few better things will turn up. Knowing what you're looking at and being willing to take a small chance will help, and that will come with experience.
The same local auction that had the ephemera with the Tufts schedules had a very poorly presented early 40's Braves warmup jacket. It's in bad condition, but a decent deal at $100.
And a batch of stereoviews at a photo show included a couple views of a non-baseball event held in Boston. But it was obviously held in one of the baseball parks. So a couple nice early images of a baseball park for I think $2 each.

None of those things are a particularly big deal, but they're all pretty interesting.
Collect stuff in general first, then when you find what you want to specialize in you'll have a good stack of things to trade or sell.

Steve B