View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 AM

Default got it

Photobucket

Received the cycling helmet...amazingly the vague idea I had how and where I'd display it worked out...somewhat...till I can figure something else out anyway...I just sat it on top of some small figures in a case and it looks fine....at least it's easily seen and I can enjoy it.

One of the greatest bicycling antiques I ever saw is a "wish I woulda"...I was on a pre-con National trip...maybe it was 05'..I was going thru the antiques stores in Adamstown PA...I went in a store, I think it was called South Side Antiques...I heard its closed now...Anyway...I spotted a tin...clearly c1880...exceptional condition...that archaic mustard color with black printing...Picture a coke can but with a screw top....that's about what the size and shape was....It was for sperm oil...on the front was an illustration of a highwheel bicycle rider riding thru a large bicycle wheel..like coming at you...At the time I didn't know bicycles back then used sperm oil for lubrication..whale oil..

The price was $1,200.00...and I was on my way to the National and needed to conserve fire power...I remember thinking if it was $800.00 I'd have bought it...as I recall they were firm on the price and wouldn't budge...It was a collective and the lady that was the owner of the store was nice but adamantly refused to let me take a photo of it...I tried the I'd like to do a feature on it and that didn't work...I was even friends with someone she knew. I've never seen or heard of another example...That tin in that good of condition...likely the finest example extant...