View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
That's strange. I've never had anyone ask for a partial refund, but I've had a few complain really loudly, then stop when I told them to send it back for a full refund.

My attitude did bite me once - I sold a very valuable tintype for the opening bid of $1,000 and was quite disappointed. The buyer sent me a nasty email, BEFORE I shipped it, saying that it was an obvious fake, and that he had talked with experts. This was back before ebay put all their energy behind the buyers. So he ended up with a great deal on a rare piece, and I got screwed, but my overly-large ego was still intact.
Personally I wouldn't have shipped it. I'd have probably refunded and relisted later.

The partial refunds thing is not so uncommon for at least one collectible. 16mm films are hard to photograph, and worse to try to explain the condition. Many are worn at the start but are fine after, and what's badly worn to one person is just fine for another. And since lots of feature films are 4-500 and expensive to ship there's a bit of willingness to work with a buyer if there's a problem. Especially internationally.

I've had a few things sell that didn't work out, but the buyers ended up happy. I don't have a return policy, because each situation is different.
I had a bunch of BMX helmets I'd bought from a defunct distributor. Each came in a carrying bag. One I sold the guy emaild saying it had cracks and looked repaired. I hadn't checked anything more than glancing at the color and size, so I asked for pics. He sent pics showing the edge cracking and what looked like glue near the plastic bit that covered the edge. I shipped a replacement before he'd even asked. That was my second reply. "Geez that looks bad I should have checked all of them a bit better. A good one is going out with todays mail." Talk about surprised! Even better, when he asked about return shipping I told him to keep the broken one. He wondered what he'd do with it and I told him to have a local airbrush or grafitti guy have at it and make it into a lamp base. He thought that was a great idea.

I've had a few others that were similar, but all cheap stuff. If the people are nice and I made a mistake I usually just refund and tell them to keep it.

If they're complaining, and demanding about something that's not my mistake I usually don't do much for them.
"But LL Bean has free shipping both ways"
"When I have their sales I'll do that too until then I don't pay return shipping"

And my descriptions are usually brief. (Unlike my posts)

This is a card #year player excellent condition
shipping in the US 1.50 international at cost.
And a couple nice big pictures front and back.

"How much is shipping to Florida"
"Do you have a scan of the back"
"Is this a rookie card"
"What's the card number"

Yeah, I usually wait a few hours before answering so I can be polite.

Steve B