View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"]Our new member Foamspoon Bryan seems to have stopped in for a cup of joe and forgot to return....I hope he gets all this instruction and help. If not at least he started a good thread

Phil,
Thanks.....and back at ya....Those are certainly all top grade helmets in very good condition. I like the darker hard shell one on the right of the top photo....like I say they're all premium examples....I'll take a guess you go for quality over quantity. That Princeton seems to have a black top. If so never seen one like that. The Princeton seems to be one of the toughest styles to find. So how long did it take you to acquire a collection like that?...and how did you? Did you get them out of auctions or straight sales?....you're to be commended...Do you collect any other areas of early football memorabilia?

Thanks Carlton. Yes that Princeton does have a black top. I will get a better picture or two for you over the weekend and post. I got that helmet in a Mears auction.

I am now collecting for quality over quantity like you guessed. I want to add high grade examples of types that I don't have (Executioner anyone?).

I have been collecting helmets and other football memorabilia for about 15 years. I would say about 3/4 of my collection I have got on eBay. Others with other auction houses (Mears, etc.)

The helmet with shoulder pads (Spaulding) I got about 13-14 years ago when I placed a "Wanted To Buy" add in my local newspaper (Cape Cod, MA). Somebody called and I got the Spaulding Helmet and matching shoulder pads in fabulous condition for $150.00.

I'll post more pictures this weekend.

Phil