View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Wow ! Thanks and great post. I knew I remember seeing it advertised and the pre-sales included a baseball signed by the TRIO, which were of course due to be signed at the show. I've often wondered why I've never seen any of these show signed baseballs (that I can remember) re surface and now your post would explain it.

On a different note I remember being set up at a show in California where Sandy Koufax was one of the signing guests , My table was next to the door where we would come and go and about 15 feet from the table where he was signing. I was headed over to the show after breakfast on the 2nd day and someone pulled me aside and said "Did you hear ?" and I said "hear what?" and he told me Don Drysdale died last night.

I figured for sure Koufax would not make the show but he did and I will never forget the look on his face when he finally came through the door and into the hall to sign , He looked FRAGILE and his face was pale like he had just seen a ghost. Like he was still in total shock. Was a sad show to be at
I had the pleasure to have Club level seats then and on the Dodgers next trip home they honored Don Drysdale. He was a broadcaster for the Dodgers then and his seats were right next to ours (Ross Porter was in back of us) he would come by during breaks and sit with his family Anne Meyers and 2 small kids. She was there with the kids that day with a video recorder taking in the moment while I cried like a baby. He was a GREAT GUY. Never once asked the man for his autograph, but friends did and he was more than gracious. great memories. Now, I wouldn't pay for a Dodger ticket.... you almost have to pay me to go there.