View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM
T0dd M@rcum

All depends on what you want, and I have mellowed a bit as I got older, but in an odd, passionate way. I see no way you can have a legitimate hall of fame without the players who were clearly among the best of all time. They used illegal drugs, but it was common in the national game at the time...and it is a reasonable bet that the top performers would have been there without it...it's just what you did at the time. So we are steadfastly against regular use of illegal substances? We're going to have to show Babe Ruth the door...he is known to have used and quite probably abused alcohol, which was an illegal substance at the time. Only want nice people? Sorry Mr. Cobb, you have to go. There is some irony is singling out the absolute sins of a few players we are ignoring the greater sins of the game, which are probably less morally repugnant that the segregation of an earlier time. It is probably worth mentioning that, while I am not sure either of them are hall of fame worthy, the Sosa/McGwire home run battle did a great deal to bring baseball back from the bring after the strike and cancelled world series.