View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
A line that separates for me is whether or not something is illegal. Tommy John surgery is legal, while taking steroids to improve athletic performance is illegal.

A footnote is that no one who had Tommy John surgery is in the Hall of Fame either. Including Tommy John.
My ONLY issue with the steroid problem is as many stated, that during the time it was not against the game's rules, and with the counter argument that it was illegal...NOW, I'm NOT trying to apply that to all steroid users, BUT steroids aren't exactly illegal as everyone is claiming. They are certainly legal when medically prescribed. There were PLENTY of players who were using it to cheat, and there were others who probably had legitimate medical reasons. The problem here is that without league testing at the time, we ALSO didn't have a system for exemptions in place as we do today. A small chunk of these players who perhaps would've qualified for an exemption are just being lumped in with the cheaters. WHY? Because they weren't against the games rules, to make an exemption necessary..