View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Steve Birmingham

When we had to replace the boiler in our house it ran just over 9000 including an indirect hot water heater.

Same cost when the electronic low water cutoff failed after about 2 years. No warranty from Weil-McLain either since it was an electronic part that failed. (The new one has an old fashioned float switch)

I'd be ok with them itemizing like they did.

One of the quotes I got was from the gas company. They talk big about giving a free burner when you switch from oil. But it went like this
sales guy: sure, free burner. You just have to have your electrician wire it, and a steam fitter for the steam pipes, and someone to bring in the new boiler....
Me: Wait, you don't install it?
Sales guy: yes! We bolt it to the boiler.
Me: But I need something like 3-4 other contractors to hook it up? You don't do the whole install?
Sales guy: No, we just bring in a new burner. You're on your own for the rest if it.

I got rid of gas altogether. A choice I'm very happy with. The indirect HW heater is so well insulated it holds enough heat to be lukewarm 24 hours after losing power. And it's all stainless, so no replacing it every 10 years or worrying about it failing.

At least with the itemizing you know they're either doing the whole job or are in charge of any subcontractors.

Steve B

I did industrial repairs for a 10+ years and wrote a lot of quotes like that.