Thread: Photo Question.
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I know there have been MULTIPLE threads, but couldn't narrow after a search. My question:

If a photo has a later date stamp and an earlier one also, does that date it to the original date first, and then was re used later on? Would it be a Type one?

I know that may not be all the needed info, but I'm just wondering for a general answer. THANKS FOR ANY HELP

SCOTT
Yes, assuming the date stamp is real. With all the encapsulation, price rises, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a few simple date stamps added to newer photos;e.g-'Apr 15 1927'

Type one? Date stamps do not identify a photo as original - the photo identifies the photo as original. A photo could be created from an original negative outside of the 'Type one' range and still erroneously be identified as a 'type one' because it looks great and is printed with the same process and paper that a true original photograph would be...or inside the range but from another photo rather than a negative, and erroneously be slabbed as a 'type one' because of date stamps.

Look at the date stamps, the quality of the image and the paper.