View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Clayton

Yeah, sorry about the long reply was having trouble sleeping.

Steve brought up a great point, which is about warranties,,,,I think York may have a 5 year warranty on their systems, and when you are negotiating the cost of all of this, you should ask them to include an equal warranty from the installer for labor as well as parts= 5 year parts & labor warranty. The parts come from the manufacturer, so it's no cost to them (I can only go by how it works out here) & if they stand by their work they should offer the equal labor.

Itemizing on the paperwork as to what they are going to do is ok, but itemizing each of those things and adding a particular price to each one, well, that's new to me. A lot of that work HAS to be done to make the unit function, therefore, it's a normal part of the install. Maybe they do it different back east, and if so that would explain why that sounds foreign to me.

Always check with the BBB as well to see if they have complaints against them, and if they do, do they resolve them. I was shocked when we were searching to see who we would use. Some of the companies I thought were the best had 15+ complaints against them We found a company that had zero complaints. Also, ask the company if their employees are NATE certified. It is a plus if they are, that means they are going the extra mile to have their technicians staying up to date with continuing education (to keep up with modern technology coming out and safety rules and regs that can periodically change).

One last thing (wheeew) It's hard sometimes to get prices from A/C supply houses when it comes to UNITS, because depending on the amount of business a contractor does with the supply house, they all seem to have different rates. It's easier to find prices on single repair items, like a fan motor, but it's difficult as a non- contractor to get prices on systems/units. I was checking through an old supply book and the only thing that doesn't have listed prices are the units/systems

Hope this info helps, keep us posted

Sincerely, Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 01-15-2013 at 11:04 AM.