Thread: Photo Question.
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
World Wide Photos was around after 1954. I have a 1960s photo with a World Wide Photo stamp on back. If a "1920-54" time period stamp is on a 1957 photo, that would say that "1920-54" dates were incorrect.

I do think there are details about the stamps, including when exactly they were used, that is currently unknown. Future adjustments may happen-- though I don't expect radical ones. I think the current published dates are generally correct.

The 2 year rule is arbitrary. It's not a number I would chose-- though I was never asked I don't think it's a horrible number, just arbitrary. It could as easily be something different.
In the old days, if I told you: "It's an old photo with a clear image that in my opinion, was almost certainly printed by the photographer's studio from the original negative, around the time that the photo was taken", and you looked at it and thought, "hmmm....that looks more like it was printed around 2.3 years after the photo was shot"....well, that wouldn't happen. If you had questions, you'd ask me, and if you respected my opinion, we'd deal. With the 'type' system, you no longer have to consider the seller's expertise with photographs - the little slip under the plastic tells you everything you need to know.

These days, when describing a photo, I sometimes find myself thinking, "Is this a Type 1? Was it printed within 2 years, or possibly 2.1 or 2.2?!? " And if it doesn't have a back-stamp? WE'RE SCREWED!!!!