Thread: Photo Question.
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
World Wide Photos was around after 1954. I have a 1960s photo with a World Wide Photo stamp on back. If a "1920-54" time period stamp is on a 1957 photo, that would say that "1920-54" dates were incorrect.

I do think there are details about the stamps, including when exactly they were used, that is currently unknown. Future adjustments may happen-- though I don't expect radical ones. I think the current published dates are generally correct.

The 2 year rule is arbitrary. It's not a number I would chose-- though I was never asked I don't think it's a horrible number, just arbitrary. It could as easily be something different.
Hi David. World Wide Photo(s) stamps existed from the early 1920's to the mid 40's for the main office (NYC), the latter overlapping with the World Wide Phot(o) stamp from the mid 40's to 1954. All of these differ from one another as do the later World Wide Photo(s) stampings from '55'-57, late 1950's-1962, 1962 -early 1970's, mid 70's- late 80's and late 80's to the present.

Most of the confusion that I have seen with these stamps can be attributed to what I have seen for similar cases with other stampings i.e., some bureaus and news agencies simply did not keep up with (or have) the most recent stamps. In the case of World Wide Phot(o) stamps many photos with this stamp also have AP stamps that will allow the collector to narrow down further the date of publication.

With regard to the 2 year rule, I agree and feel something between 3-5 years would still be appropriate. Nevertheless, I think we all have to realize that with some first generation photos we will never know for sure (because of the lack of suitable criteria) whether or not they are Type 1 prints.

Craig