View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Default Logorithmic Set Collecting

Using a logorithmic scale, how would you rate a set based on how easy it is to complete. For example, I assume the easiest sets would be something like 2012 Topps since you can go to the nearest Walmart or Target and just pick one up for $20 or so. They get rated a 1. A 2008 Topps set may require looking on Ebay and using a Paypal account. Not as easy as the 2012 set but certainly not hard. Give it a 2 since it technically is around 10 times harder to acquire just for effort. 1975 Topps might get a 3 since the price is a bit higher and there may not be sets ending every day.

1934 Goudey? How about a 4. None of the cards are hard to find.

T206? A 5? Yes it very very expensive. But several Wagners appear every year and you don't even need to go more than a couple years to pick up a Doyle Nat'l. Maybe that should be a 6 just because of the price.

So what is 10 times harder than the T206? E107? Should it be a 7?

Where does the Old Judge fit in?

What is the hardest? For me it's the T231 Fan set. Isn't it a couple hundred cards of which only 2 are known? I guess that is "beyond category". But it's possible a set may exist with a relative of a former employee.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to complete the N224 Kinney military set and after 12 years I am still 10 cards short. Mostly because there are 6 cards where there are less than 4 cards known. That's why nobody has completed it, although Tiger-Wharton was just 1 short. It would be far easier for me to work extremely hard, save my money, and pay for the T206 Wagner and Doyle then to actually find the N224 cards I am looking for. That set gets an 8.

Thoughts? T205 folks? Cabinets?

Last edited by egbeachley; 01-31-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fan changed to T231