View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Why does Heritage assume that the good guys figured it out first? If I were a skilled forger, I would be doing my damnedest to figure out the differences between balls created in those three years.
Agreed. I think we have all been impressed, not sure if this is the correct word, by the creations of forgers of memorabilia, particularly ultra valuable early memorabilia, and particularly in the 1990s. From 19th century uniforms and balls, to engraved items, to autographs, etc. I do not doubt for an instant that individuals knew of the distinction.

All someone had to do was reference another 1927 signed Yankees ball to see the exact stampings the ball had on it. Literally, that's all you would need to have done. And I think a forger likely would have done Exactly that.

And I agree very much that individuals, who have become students of a field, know dates and other information about certain memorabilia that the general market does not. It is 2013, and I have my own stash of early bat anomaly dating and other early baseball knowledge, as we all do. Cannot make money dealing in physical objects of value unless you have information others do not.