View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Who collects Polar Bears?

For a guy who wishes there weren't so many T206 threads, I should probably stay mum, but I was wondering if there are any on the board who collect just (or mostly) Polar Bear T206s?

One of my several failed attempts to start T206 focused on PBs. I am kind of a condition freak who doesn't much care for beaters, and I wanted to force myself to face a set that would be replete with noticeable tobacco stains. Although I ultimately jettisoned the project, I really grew to enjoy the PB cards as being authentic warts and all mementos of the dead-ball era. Sure you could almost certainly find a better image of any T206 subject by chasing other backs, but there was something almost mesmerizing to me about cards like this one--a great pose of an even greater player:

Are there others here who find these T206 ugly stepchildren the apple of your eye?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.