View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

Collecting the set depends a lot on what you like.

If you're into nicer condition cards it will take longer and cost a lot more.

But if you don't mind cards that have been around the block a few times (or more) It can be done for a lot less.

The good stuff is that they look good even if they don't grade all that well. And there are plenty out there with a light crease and a bit of corner wear that won't cost much.

It might be worthwhile to pick up a batch of lesser condition cards just to get a good look at them without the plastic in the way.
One of the auctions coming up has a few batches like that.
http://www.b-lauctions.com/

Start around lot 96.
(Not my cards)

One of the things newer collectors don't usually get a chance to do is handle the cards in any quantity to get good feel for what they look like and what the cardboard is like. In the early 80's many dealers had stacks of them just loose or rubber banded together. Once you've done that spotting the fakes gets really easy since they all just look wrong.

If you get into the tougher backs and misprints it's very different. Lots of expense, and cards don't come up as often.

A few things that might help make it easier if you get discouraged by looking at a big batch and thinking "X years and I'm only 1/2 way there" is to work on a subset. Maybe a favorite team, or just portraits, something like that where it's a more limited group within the set. The non southern league minor leaguers is one that isn't done much. Only a few HOF players, (I think 3? But I could be wrong) And no really rare ones.

I've been collecting them off and on since probably 78, and I'm not even halfway there. So much other stuff to collect and usually not much of a budget.

Steve B