View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Ad@m Be11

Welcome to the forum. I'm very much like you in that I'm probably similar in age and also collected a lot of cards as a kid. Columbia House and BMG quickly replaced my cards as I could get 10 CDs for a $1.

I just returned to card collecting 2 years ago and went to rebuild and enhance my Cal Ripken card collection. That shifted to Orioles Team Hall of Famers, which shifted to PostWar HOF RCs, which has then brought me to Prewar where I'm starting 3 different sets (T206, E210, and R319). It took me awhile to get my focus, simply because there was so much out there that as a kid I wish I could afford which now, I can somewhat kinda afford.

I feel real settled in with the T206s and I couldn't be happier with that choice. There are so many options within the set and ways to collect it that you can always change focus while ultimately working on your end goal (a complete set). That's what I like about it. At first I was eating up anything I could get my hands on, but then I started looking for specific backs and higher quality which has slowed me down significantly due to cost. I'm in no rush and this forum has been a big help. The members are always quick to help you out and the B/S/T forum has helped me a bit too. I would invest in the book named The T206 Collection: Players and Their Stories. It is a great book to learn more about the players in the set. Every time I get a card for a new player, I always read the page on them. It has enhanced the collecting process for me.

Anyways, good luck with your collecting and welcome aboard.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240