View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Richard Simon

Default Why even try to help?

I received a phone call this morning,,, a summary follows:

"I called because I need your help, please steer me in the right direction. I am calling about a glove that is autographed by Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Roy Campanella, Hank Aaron and I know this is hard to believe but Shoeless Joe Jackson. It has already been looked at and they said it was good."
So I ask the guy who looked at it. "Someone in North Carolina." Yes, that is exactly what he said.
I said "who in North Carolina?" He said it had been in a family for years and they told his girlfriend that it was good. His girlfriend is there now. "What should I do?"

DO YOU BELIEVE THESE MORONS?

I asked him if he was a hobbyist and he said no. So I told him how the hobby has more scammers than ever before and there is virtually no chance that the glove is authentically signed.
I asked him how much they want for it. He did not quote a price. I told him to make sure to have it examined before he bought it.
He said he would get back to me.
If I had to make a bet on the outcome, I would bet he buys the glove.

sometimes it makes you wonder why you even bother.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-04-2013 at 09:40 AM.