View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Can anyone explain this one. I think it must be a wet sheet transfer, but I've never seen one so dark.
Hi Sean,

Ron Kornacki explained in another thread how this may have happened on the press. Keep in mind he was talking about how front images would be printed on the back, so for your card think about it in reverse.

"I'm not sure of the exact printing method that was used back then. Maybe it was offset printing where a plate image transfers to a blanket cylinder and then onto the paper. If the paper is not fed, the blanket image will transfer to the impression cylinder. If that happens, a reversed image would print on the back side of the paper the same time the image is printed on the front. Normally the impression cylinder would be cleaned if a misfeed happened before feeding another sheet in to avoid the error reverse printing. This is most likely the reason for how detailed some wet sheet transfers are. Its because Tim's card is actually an impression cylinder transfer and not a wet sheet transfer."