View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

I did try to create a WST using a beat common.

Water, wrapped in paper and clamped in a vise for about a week, maybe a bit more.

Nothing at all except pressing the woodgrain pattern into the card.

When I have time I'm going to try alcohol and/or mineral spirits.

One of those will probably get it done, the plasticizer in the old sheets is oil based, as are most lithography inks which is part of what causes the ink migration. I can see front and back inks helping each other to transfer.

And since we're on the topic, here's something I've been needing to scan for everyone. The ink used is similar, but likely linseed oil based. The exact formulations were closely held trade secrets at the time.
6 cent post office card proof on the left, 6 cent Justice dept card proof on the right seen from the back(Justice dept are purple and have lincoln on the 6cent) Both bought from a seller in the UK and mailed in the same package, same tiny envelope inside. Neither had any offset before shipping. The seller had very nice scans of both fron and back.
The last printing of card proofs was around 1900. So approximately 100+ years after printing the ink was still "wet" enough to transfer.

Steve B