View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Jason Stricker

I mostly collect pre-war cards, so I've always gravitated to SGC. I've slabbed a number of cards with them and have been happy with their service. They run monthly specials each month, which can be found on their website. Turnaround time and pricing are good. When I get a PSA graded pre-war card, I tend to cross it over to SGC, sometimes with a grade change. Perhaps its because of their recent office move or they're getting busier, but lately SGC quality has slipped. Some of my slabs come back with fingerprints and smudges on the black inserts or the custom insert isn't cut as precise or cleanly. Overall though, SGC is still my #1 choice for most cards.

For my 1980+ cards, I tend to prefer PSA as I think they do a better job with the modern stuff. I've never submitted directly to PSA, but I've heard numerous stories about how long it can take. And there are some inconsistancies with their grading. I have bought a couple of PSA 10s from big eBayers like 4SharpCorners among others where their PSA 10s look more like 8s or 9s. Do the high volume graders get better grading deals? Who knows, but this has been discussed before on Net54.

As for Beckett, I originally couldn't stand them. I thought their holders were entirely too larger, too rigid, too sharp and not that appealing to the eye. However, I've been buying more of them lately as I feel you can get better deals on BVG graded cards vs others. Some I've crossed over, some I've kept BVG. I've always felt they're tougher on their cards and their 9.5s would be equal to PSA 10s in many cases, so I disagree with a previous comment about that. I have received grade bumps on crossovers from BVG to SGC.

In the end, I think it comes down to personal preference. Go with what you like. You'll find folks who swear by the TPG they use. Some like the thinner PSA holders, which do take up far less space than SGC or BVG. Some like SGC's black insert while some like Beckett's detailed grading on surface, sides, corners, etc.