Thread: Why autographs?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
True, but I am comfortable with my opinion when it come to cardboard. There isn't a card in my collection that I ever pause for a moment and question its authenticity. I couldn't even pull the trigger on a single signed Mantle ball, however, and even though I really would like one in my collection I doubt that I would ever be 100% certain about its authenticity unless the way I view autographs changes. I guess that my main issue is that although I want to expand into this region of the hobby, I cannot justify the expense of doing so without more faith in the matter.
Perhaps you want to start off with a niche that's not so prone to forgeries. I went through Negro League autos and currently seek out WWII players. These aspects of baseball history are very interesting to me, and although I usually just hear crickets when I post my finds -- even from the die-hard, obscure collectors! -- I still get the thrill of the chase without usually having to reach too far into my wallet.

Plus, and I'm sure I'm being naive here, my risk of owning forgeries is far less than most. Is it possible my Lee Moody or Moe Burtschy balls are fake? I guess so, but even if they are, I'm not out much. (And I'd almost have to commend a forger who took the time to learn those sigs and had the patience to wait for me to come along!)

Ken