View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDMD View Post
That is interesting about the .ca thing on eBay. I have never tried that. I will use that from not on...very handy for trying to ascertain sold prices.

I am currently trying to compile a list of the cards that I want in my collection. Both a general list and a Mantle list. I think my long term collecting goal will be a Mantle set...but I don't know how deep I will do. I might just try and stick with the mainstream Topps and Bowman issues. But, who knows.

I have been in discussions with a seller on eBay for a 1957 Topps Mantle PSA 4 and I just purchased it. I might have overpaid a bit...but the card has wonderful centering and that is a big thing for me. Compared to other PSA 4s I have seen in the past, this card really passes the eye test...at least based on the auction photos. It's the first decent Mantle I have purchased (the only other I own is a 1960 Mantle/Boyer that I got for $15 years ago because it is SO beat up).
Congratulations on the pickup! The 57 is a beautiful card as is the 1960 Mantle/Boyer. For a while, the 1960 was my favorite card in my collection. My first was incredibly beat up as well. It had clearly been placed in bike spokes and had a massive crease right down the middle as a result. Despite picking up a cleaner copy, that is one I doubt I will ever get rid of.

Mainstream Topps and Bowman cards are a great way to go. That is how I started my collection then gradually added Topps inserts, Exhibits, Post Cereal, OPC, and Topps Venezuelans as I completed my other subsets. Collecting Mantles is a fun but addicting hobby.

If you are looking for a good checklist, the PSA Master Set registry is pretty comprehensive. They are only missing a couple Topps cards (Push Pull, two posters, a checklist variation, and the 52 Topps variation).