View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 AM
Bill Gregory

Welcome to the forum, CamaroDMD!

I'm in the same boat you are, about to start my own vintage collection. I've been spending a lot of time reading, and learning, before putting my money down. You won't find a friendlier, more knowledgeable group anywhere.

I think the suggestion to decide what you want to collect is a great one. That's what I'm working on now. I'd love to buy every great vintage card ever made, but I know my resources won't allow it. So, I've been spending my time watching Ebay, looking at cards of the players I really love, and I've been narrowing down a list of 20 or so cards I want to buy right off the bat. Once I have more of a feel for what I really like, I'll expand it.

One other thing I would recommend doing (and this is something I'm going to start as a separate discussion). Once you buy a card, remember that Ebay will only store the purchase information for three years. I think it would be useful to keep a copy of the purchase receipt to establish provenance. As you buy cards, you're going to want to insure them, and while pictures are always a must, having proof of ownership would be invaluable.

Do your research, and ask questions. When you're not sure of something, ask! The regulars of this forum have probably seen everything there is to know collectively, and they have an incredibly high level of hobby sophistication. They do a great job of policing the hobby, too. If they see something that doesn't look right, they post about it.

Most importantly, but what you love.

I can't wait to see your collection. When you get that '57 Mantle in, please share it (that's one of the ones on my short list).

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.