Thread: May Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Carmelos

Thanks Phil.
I don't think many people collect them, or their 1940's sister set Propagandas Montiel, because of condition and lack of color, but I find the poses unique, and the stories of the players fascinating. They deserve more attention than what they receive.

As you already know, Crespo was a powerful outfielder whose nickname was 'Homerun." He only played in the Negro Leagues for a couple of years, but chose to play primarily in Mexico and Cuba.

"Ducky" Davenport was a speedy outfielder that played in Cleveland and Chicago in the Negro Leagues, but like many players of his day would switch teams and countries if someone would pay him more money. Davenport also managed after his playing career ended.

Barney Serrell was called "The Vacumm Cleaner." He was the second baseman for the Kansas City Monarchs prior to the arrival of Jackie Robinson. According to Riley's Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues, Serrell was the better player and he was "deeply disappointed" when Robinson was chosen to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

McDuffie was a great pitcher in the Negro Leagues, on the level of Satchel Paige (if that is possible). A sharp dresser and a playboy, he was as colorful off the diamond as he was on. Riley's Encyclopediea goes on to tell many stories of McDuffie's baseball exploits. Like Paige, McDuffie pitched well into his fourties.

Riley's Encyclopedia is a wonderful resource for anyone interested in collecting players of the Negro Leagues. It was recommended to me by another board member and I am very grateful to him for turning me on to a interesting niche in baseball card collecting.

Best regards,

Joe

Last edited by Northviewcats; 05-04-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Pushed the wrong button