View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I'm late to the dance, but if all Jose did was to pass some bad packs by PSA with the intent being to show that they didn't know what they were doing, and never sold any of these packs, he did nothing wrong. In fact, he pointed out a weakness in the hobby. Sounds like the TV station that passed the bad autographs past some of the autograph authenticators a few years ago to show that they were error prone (at best). When will people learn that if they can't authenticate what they buy themselves, they shouldn't buy?
I, too, am late to the dance and I feel the same way you do. Like Jose, I also question Steve's knowledge in this hobby. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe he is a man of great integrity, but integrity and knowledge are two different things.

About 4 years or so ago, I bought a 1975 Topps wax tray from Steve in one of his eBay auctions. I got it for $3XX (I can't remember the exact amount, but it was over $300). I thought I got a really good deal because at the time he was selling them for like $500 (maybe more) on his BBCE website. I was going to leave it sealed, but temptation got the better of me and after a few months I decided to open it. The cellophane around the tray looked good, but when I opened the packs they were clearly resealed. A bunch of EX commons with creases, corner wear and wax/gum stains in on cards that were in the middle of the pack (nowhere near the gum). I wondered at the time how the cellophane could be resealed. Now, I guess I know. That put a bad taste in my mouth about unopened product and I don't collect that garbage anymore.

If none of the bogus packs were sold and nobody was defrauded, then I applaud Jose for his efforts. Thank you, Jose.