Thread: May Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Scott

your mayo tin is one of at least 7 variations/configurations in tin. Think this is the only variation with paper label. I remember seeing one or two of this style along my journey. Paper label tins are not actively sought by most tin collectors - but they make great go-withs for the sports enthusiast. The one you are showing may be the earliest - would take more thoght and research. It probably predates the football inserts but I'd have to go back to my records. I've not been active lately in researching tin/pack card manufacturers and the associated product - too many other tasks to focus on avoiding...... I know Jon Canfield has done a lot of work on that front. I don't think it's been clarified yet what kind of package the football cards or even the small die-cuts were found in (or even the ns cards) although I remember that one of the tins has been suggested. I KNOW the yum yum baseball cards were found in tins (thanks Jay M.) as well as the later lucky strike NS cards but I can think of few others. Mostly all cards pre and post 1900 were found in slide and shell packs - a few cards were inserted in paper style packages like the Polar Bear but.....? The more I know - the less I know :-( Is the tin factory 1 or 42 as it's hard to see in the scans? The value of your tin would be in the eyes of the owner :-)

never argue with an idiot
they'll drag you down to their level
and beat you with experience