View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I do, too, but when the roid-rager posts numbers that completely blow away the drug-free guy, it's hard to say the drug-free guy is a HOFer (esp. when the roid-rager was probably not even top-10 of his era.)

If you take Maris' freak season away, he was, well, a very good player. That does not make for a HOFer (just as Don Newcombe.)

BUT, that's the fun of this debate. I would like to see some guys in who you would think crazy, too. (Buck O'Neil, Mickey Vernon, Minne Minoso, Cecil Travis at least deserve serious consideration, in my mind.)

Ken
I don't think any one of those guys you list is crazy...like I said I think more guys should be in. How about Lefty O'Doul??? That guy gave his whole life to baseball and he's not in...he even hit .349 over 11 seasons in the majors and he's not in. Consider too that he played most of his career in the PCL which at the time was probably just as good as the major leagues. Dale Murphy should go in, he was certainly one of the best players of his era. Jack Morris should go in, certainly among the top pitchers of his era.