View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Dan - some cards are off center, because they were laid out off center on the printing press. I don't know the printing of the 1959 Topps set as well as I know the 1952 Topps set, but in that set there are many cards that were not laid out evenly (Charley Maxwell is the most famous example - but Antonelli, Don Johnson and Gus Bell also all suffer from significant issues - and there are more than this). I would assume the same thing happened with the 1959 set.

Cheers,
Patrick
Thanks Patrick. I'm still a bit confused though. So you're saying that it's less about the cutting and more about the printing press, but I still don't get how one could be 'off' and the rest are not. For example - you'll see Bobby Shantz in the top left corner of the sheet above, and that's a notoriously tough card to find centered. But the one immediately to the right of him, Jack Sanford, is not. How could Bobby's card be off center but the one right next to him not be? Regardless of whether it's due to cutting or printing the sheet, I just don't get how in a row of 11 cards that the first one could be off center while the ten others are not (or are materially better).

I'm sure it's an obvious thing that's right in front of me that I'm just not getting, but I'm not getting it.