View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

Tim's problem has been maddening periods of inconsistency. He's had several really good starts where he just hit a wall, and fell apart. Tonight he had batters swinging and missing all over the place. He can be a dominant pitcher again if he can continue mixing up hit pitches like he did last night. And I'm happy to say that. I really like Tim Lincecum, and I'd like to see him back on top of his game.
From what I've seen, he seems to run into 1 of 3 problems each time. He seems to get frustrated and then falls apart..

1)10+ pitch AB's that result in a bloop single. Then he falls apart.
2)Facing the pitcher. Instead of just pitching, he starts nibbling and throwing junk, like he's trying to show him up. If it ends up in BB, he falls apart.
3)Defensive miscues, even ones that aren't technically errors. He falls apart.

As much as I like Scutaro, he's been the biggest culprit of the 3rd one. On at least 3 occasions this year, I've seen a Scutaro miscue start Timmy disaster innings.

Timmy's 2nd start of the year vs Colo, was the most notable. Scutaro throws away a ball to 2nd, trying to turn a DP, when Tulo was already safe at 2nd(scutaro does this more often than I think a MLB caliber middle infielder should), instead of just throwing to 1st to get Cuddyer. Scut's get charged with an error on the bad throw(because Tulo advanced to 3rd), but because the runner was already safe at 2nd(and you can't assume a DP), it's ruled that "both runners are safe on FC" and no "out" is applied toward ERA consideration.. Timmy got hit with 5 ER's that inning instead the 0 that it should've been(based on the scoring technicality). And that's not even taking into consideration, that had Scutaro made the appropriate play, Timmy might not have even fallen apart in the first place. Timmy follows that up that inning with 2 hits(one is a solo shot to Tulo), 1 BB and 6 K's over the next 4 innings..

Last edited by novakjr; 07-16-2013 at 05:07 PM.