View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
These last few upsets mentioned are terrific. I loved that one about the big country boy that stuck it to the multiple-Olympic champion Russian.

Thought of another that maybe a few of you wrestling buffs might recall much better than I, since I cannot name the guy who upset-------Iowa's Dan Gable at the 1970 or 71 NCAA Wrestling Tournament match. If memory serves, Gable had been undefeated in college up to this point, and it would have been the final point, as Dan was a senior. Gable picked himself up, and proceeded to flog himself in training for the '72 Olympics. He cleaned the mats up with his opponents, winning the gold. Y'all probably know what he achieved as a college and Olympic wrestling coach. --Brian
Yeah, when I saw someone mention wrestling(not WWF), I was about to go Gable too. Gable was 181-0(Gable had also NEVER lost an official HS match either), with 2 National Championships already, heading into the final match of his collegiate career. Larry Owings from University of Washington was the guy who beat him in the 142 lb. National Championship match in 1970. Interestingly enough, Owing had started out the season in the 177 lb class, and decided to cut down to 142. While many other wrestlers in the country were trying to avoid Gable, by either moving up or down a class..

Anyways here's a great old SI article about their match...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...ne/MAG1135499/

Last edited by novakjr; 07-17-2013 at 02:14 PM.