View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Mikeknapp

I was an average player who loved the game more than it loved me. There are not a lot of places for 5'5" outfielders outside of Little League However, I was lucky enough to get a workout with the Padres in the mid 80's. That only served as confirmation of my mediocrity. It was a thrill nonetheless. I only wish I had realized that there were opportunies for a life in baseball that didn't require athletic prowess. At 38 I became an associate scout for the Reds and loved it. I had one of my guys drafted in my first year. It was exciting to hear his name announced and know I had a small part in it. I scouted for about five years for the Indians, Reds, and Nationals. At one point I had an opportunity to go to the MLB scout school with the possibility of a part time paid position. However, due obligations to my family I could not afford it financially. I had a wife and four kids who liked to eat on a regular basis and enjoyed the creature comforts such shelter. I admire scouts who work long hours on the road out of love for the game. They are under paid and often disrespected by the organizations they work for. Twelve years later I wonder if I should have said what the f**k and rolled the dice.

Last edited by 71buc; 07-27-2013 at 10:14 PM.