View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I have many many good memories from my playing days, but most only have significance to me. I was a lefthanded pitcher and 1st baseman throughout my life (though did play everywhere/anywhere else... even the left side of the infield early in HS).

During those years, I was lucky enough to cross paths with a few future MLBers, and one memory stands out. I was 14 and pitching in "senior leagues" against 15 year old Eric Byrnes' (later of the A's and DBacks) team. Earlier in the game, he'd gotten stuck in a run down and being the man child he was, just ran over our 13 year old first baseman.. I remember it being dramtic like Albert Belle v Fernando Vina c 1996, but I'm sure it wasn't that bad. Anyway, when he was due up later in the game, my coach told me, "I don't care what else happens, you hit that m**her f**ker". I dutifully went out, threw two butt high fastballs right at him. He jumped out of the way both times.. then laced my next pitch into left field for a double. That was the first and only time I'd ever been ordered to hit someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
My fondest memory from a game was my last play in high school. I stole second. There were bigger moments but that was my favorite.
I wish I ended HS career on a better note, but I simply flew out to right field.. I think I had tears in my eyes. I wanted to play college ball, but never developed into a D-1 player.. maybe in part because by my latter HS years I was focusing more time on football and just sort of hit a plateau baseball wise. I did play a few years in a hardball league after college, which was great... and still have hopes of putting the cleats again and playing in the old style (1890's) league that plays in Golden Gate Park.

Last edited by itjclarke; 07-28-2013 at 03:45 PM.