View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Shaun Fyffe

[QUOTE=brian1961;1166919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timber63401 View Post
Was there all day Friday and most the day Saturday. A few things I noticed.

7. Worst thing I seen was a young kid run up to his dad with a huge smile on his face with a 1971 Johnny Bench in his hand that he just bought proud as a peacock. His dad asked him what he paid for it and then tongue lashed him for 90 seconds for spending too much for that card. Price the boy paid? $20. Wanted to give the Dad his $20 back myself if I could choose where I got to stick it.

After reflection, it seems to me that it is high time some dads get a crash course on how to teach their child the enjoyment of collecting baseball cards. For this guy, I'd start with a crash of my backhand across his face. If his poor son still wants to collect and learn about card history, not to mention the history of sports, I would almost be surprised. An experience such as that leaves mental and emotional scars.

The man could have turned that around and enjoyed a wonderful father and son lunch, talking about the great Johnny Bench and how he could actually hold seven baseballs in his hand at once, then discuss Topps baseball, and in the middle of that mention how to know a fair price, and most of all, perhaps ask him, why he so wanted that card, and listen and hang onto every word.

I have blown it with my son many times, so it's easy to lecture. I have had to tell my son I'm sorry and ask his forgiveness. I let him choose his own enjoyments, though no doubt he was influenced by my love of old movies, cartoons, and auto racing. He never got into baseball card collecting, but I'm happy I helped him with his amazing Sonic the Hedgehog collection. I listened to him talk about video games, even if I had to change the subject sometimes to steady my "noives". Today, we're tight, very very tight. He listens to me talk about old regional cards, and I smile and nod about the latest video game he wants to buy.

Here this guy has a son who's genuinely interested in vintage baseball card collecting, and all he can do is trash his kid for 90 seconds because he overpaid.

Yup, as in a lot of things involving children, it's the parents who need an education about good behavior towards them.

Sorry about the long rant, but that item enraged me, too. --Brian Powell
I whole-heartedly agree with you Brian. Unfortunately, his maltreatment towards his son probably extends far beyond the purchasing of baseball cards. It's a real shame, and unfortunate because it will probably chase his son away from the hobby.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards