View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Yes, Jim, that would have been a problematic scenario, but that's not what happened. The problem is not some "what if" scenario in which we suppose the accused would fall short. Neither is the problem in investigating potential fraud in the hobby, nor is it in anonymity or the lack thereof.

The problem is impugning someone's reputation based on a pre-supposed conclusion, and using defamation of character as a tool to try and wring a confession, any confession, out of the accused. The problem is the attitude of "the ends justify the means" and the lack of personal responsibility in how we pursue the truth. And I say "we" intentionally, because I too have been guilty of wielding a pitchfork before I knew all the facts, but it's not something I'm proud of, and seeing first-hand the effects those rash judgements can have, is something I intend to avoid in the future.

One thing that I have always appreciated about how Leon handles tough situations of he said/she said is by reaching out to the accused with a phone call to at least get their side of the story before handing down any judgements. I wonder, of all of Brandon's accusers, how many of you reached out to Brandon to get his side of the story? For that matter, how many have ever spoken to him personally. I daresay if you actually knew him as anything more than "the ball guy," you would not be so quick to judge.
How should it have been handled?

-A Ball was purchased on ebay for ~$25 by a member of this forum from another member of this forum.

-This ball later shows up with new stitching and is being sold as a very rare AS game baseball.

-When a check of that ebay ID is done it is revealed to be associated with Brandon.

-Brandon refuses to answer any questions regarding this baseball and says that it was all some former business associate of his whom he will not name.

I guess we were all supposed to just shut up at that point and move along.