View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 09:29 AM
John G.
John Gu.zik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
That's why the forgers and the sellers of forgeries are successful.

Forgeries like those are penned to have the appearance of looking authentic.

That's why, in my opinion, it is almost impossible to teach a collector about autographs, unless they are willing to take the time (on a daily basis) to train their eyes. It doesn't happen overnight.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I've got a great friend/resource who I sent all those pics a couple weeks ago.

'do you think these sigs are good'

'no'

I get he is busy, and his advice isn't costing me anything, etc., but the problem is no other information tends to get provided when an opinion is asked for--why aren't they good, what is it about them? Of course my standard disclaimer--no one is under any obligation to teach me this stuff, so I don't want to come off like people owe me things.

I'm certainly no dope, I could learn this stuff pretty easy if there was somewhere I could go to learn what I'm looking at (or for)--strokes, direction of pen travel, ink density, etc. I like the answer--the signature looks 'slow'.

I read one article about how a forgery was determined because the signature appeared to be written/drawn backwards (right to left). Until I read that article, it would never occur to me to look for something like that, but now I know that is a thing.

But If I get a simple 'no', the next time I see some sigs offered, I'm going to end up asking the same question again.

Fun stuff though.