View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 03:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
That's how I would describe my set as well, probably why I am still needing over a 100 cards...just frustrating.

I think if you are building graded registered sets my list would definitely change, although I have zero experience scouring for 8s and 9s. I ranked them assuming I am like most...VG-EX to EX...mid grade set builders.

That might be a whole other thread...what are most set collectors range of condition? I HATE any type of creases...don't mind soft corners...the only miscuts I hate are when another card is showing, although I look for centering when I can. My sets are primarily EX and the slightest crease the card must go. There is a part of me that would like to grade and register a set, like my 66's would be high, but I would rather invest that kind of money into more cards...that's just me.
Couldn't agree more. If a card has a wrinkle or crease, it has to go. I do the best I can on centering. Most of my collection is ungraded. However, many of my "star" cards are graded. Basically, I would much rather spend my money on more cards in the ex-exmt range rather than on grading fees. For a time, earlier in life, I got caught up in the grading craze. If a card wasn't PSA 8 or better, I didn't want it. By doing this I really limited the cards I could afford. Also, I stopped appreciating the cards and was only buying the holder. I had forgotten why I love this hobby so much. And that is what it still is for me----a hobby. This is by no means a knock on anyone who loves grading and graded cards. There is no wrong way to collect. Basically when I buy a graded star card now, I am attempting to avoid trimmed or otherwise altered cards. Even then, I am looking in the 5-6.5 range.