View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM

I don't really find it to have been a good documentary.

Let me explain. I'm bored and sick to death of the current "media" slant on card collecting as a dead or dying hobby/business. The guy who wrote "Mint Condition" - can't remember his name and don't care - is one of the leading offenders.

In other collecting pursuits, there is a focus on the highs - people go to great lengths to point out the large sums being exchanged, competitive auctions, etc. Think about the art market. I watch many documentaries about it. Almost uniformly they are of two types: (1) the ones that show masterpieces and astounding auctions prices realized, and (2) the titillating ones about forgers, frauds, and thieves.

Nobody (it seems) makes boring documentaries about the hundreds of thousands of overpriced artworks hanging on the walls of dead bricks-and-mortar galleries by artists with middling talent.

Yet the equivalent of that is all I seem to ever see about sports card collecting. You get some idiot regurgitating the old chestnut that the sports card market is dead - and this has happened within weeks of REA auctioning over $10 million. Pure laziness and ignorance.

All I ask for is that someone with a modicum of work ethic would publish a column/book, or make a documentary about the real and very much alive market that we all see and participate in daily.

Anyone???

(To be clear, I know there are lots of drum-beaters within the hobby - SMR, Old Cardboard, SCD and the like, but I'd love to have someone make an effort to convey to the public masses a message other than "card collecting died in the 1990s".)

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 08-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.