View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Bill Gregory

David,

The Beckett holder, as I understand, is two pieces, one placed on top of the other, and it locks shut. In order to get the card out, you'd pretty much have to break the case, and there's no way it could be reused. If you compare their case to a PSA or an SGC, it's much bigger for this reason.

The current PSA and SGC cases are sonically sealed. Two pieces are welded shut, creating a seam along the side. If you use a knife, or a screwdriver flat head, you can pry the slab open along the weld, and pull the card out. There are people that have figured out how to open those cases, and glue them shut, virtually without leaving any trace.

PSA premiered a new slab at the National, and it's supposed to be similar to the Beckett one. It looks like they're finally addressing the issue, which makes me a happy collector. They're happy, too, as I expect they'll realize a small fortune from people reslabbing their cards.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-17-2013 at 04:44 PM.