View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
How much $ do you think it would be to complete 1952-1979 Topps Basic Sets with:

1950s in EX
1960s in EXMT
1970-75 in NM
1976-79 in NM+
It absolutely depends on how you do it. If you were to do it "card by card", it would cost what many of us would consider a fortune.

However, if you have the time there is a far less costly (and for me, far more fun)way of completing this run of sets. Minus about 80 or so 52 hi#s, when I completed my 52-79 Topps sets I took an approach different than that of building each set card by card. When I would begin a new set to build, I would look to buy as many lots/near sets from that set as possible, all in the grade ranges I was looking to achieve. For me the "fun" was sorting through each of the lots and using them to build, and in most cases, nearly complete a set. This part did take some time, as did the selling of the duplicate and triplicate cards off (in most cases selling these extras as singles at shows or on ebay to maximize the return). The selling of the excess allowed me to cover my costs for building each set. Obviously, there were some cards here and there that I did not receive as part of any of the lots I purchased, so these cards I did subsequently purchase as singles from the excess funds generated by selling off the extras. I repeated this process over about 3 years on each of the 52-75 Topps sets, and minus about 80 hi # cards from the 52 set, they are complete. This did take several thousand dollars at first, but once the process was rolling along, the proceeds from the sales of the extras of one set, covered the purchases of the next set I was working. To be able to begin another set, I would have to complete the process of selling off the extras from the previous set.

To answer the question asked, money wise a few thousand dollars and a lot of time the way I did it. As for any collector, the time "invested" in doing this was enjoyable as well as "priceless", so I consider it both the time and money well spent.