View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
... Since Mears claims that bats typically lose 3 oz. (and sometimes 4 to 6 oz.!), it seems that they could have looked to those records and slapped a high number on it. Not sure why it didn't get a higher grade.
Here's another take on this (from another Mark no less.) I find it refreshingly honest when a combination grading company/auction house does NOT grade items they are about to sell. Seems to me they are recognizing the rather obvious conflict of interest, and by not assigning specific numeric grades that might allow them to "slap a higher number on it," they are doing the ethical thing.

If they have graded the item previously, there's no such conflict. But if a consignor comes in with a really great ungraded piece and the auction house knows it can jack the hammer amount by assigning a high grade... Well, I'm just saying, I think it's a sign of integrity when they don't do that.

If I had such an item, I'd do this: First, I'd get it graded. Then, considering their opinion, the grade they gave it, and the post-grading estimated value of the item, I'd go ahead and consign it. That, to me, is the right way to do things, better ensures an unbiased grade, and thus keeps the entire process 100% honest.

-Mark III